Detoxing, or the removal of toxic wastes from your body is something very important for optimal human performance. Toxic wastes mostly refer to things like heavy metals, which not only are neurotoxic themselves, meaning they are poisonous to your brain, spinal cord, and nerves, but also cause your body to make a ton of destructive free radicals.
In addition to heavy metals, there is also something called damaging EMF exposure, or electromagnetic fields from things like cell phones, WIFI, wireless devices, and microwave ovens. EMF’s in and of themselves are very damaging to our bodies. The problem gets exacerbated when we are exposed to harmful EMFs when we are also toxic with heavy metals. The more heavy metals we have in our body, the more we attract damaging EMF’s, and therefore the more destructive free radicals your body will produce. A simple solution to rid your body of toxins is to reduce both heavy metals in your body and EMF exposure.
At this point no one is exempt from heavy metal toxicity, even if you are like me and have a very healthy lifestyle. Since the toxic load of today’s world is very high, I include detoxing as part of my normal healthy lifestyle, something I try and do regularly. This is not a practice I do every 30 days, 60 days, or even 6 months because it is just not enough at this point for negating all the toxic crap out there. So without further ado, here are my top 3 ways I detox my body regularly.
1. Avoid EMF as much as possible
This is certainly a big challenge in today’s world where almost any type of business or facility comes fully equipped with high-speed wireless internet, not to mention these iPhones we carry around with us 24/7. With that said, there are a few things I like to personally do to reduce my exposure as much as possible. These include:
- Putting phone on airplane mode when not in use and at night
- Turning off WIFI router at night when it’s not needed
- Using wired headphones when talking on phone instead of putting phone directly to ear or using Bluetooth
- Throwing away your microwave
2. Full Spectrum Infrared Sauna
I like to use a full spectrum infrared sauna because both near and far-infrared light has their own unique benefits. For instance, far-infrared light helps with the removal of toxins through sweat, while near-infrared light is great at improving mitochondrial function and cellular repair. I use saunas regularly, at least 1-2 times per week, to get a good sweat going and rid my body of toxins and heavy metals.
There are a few things you want to keep in mind when using a sauna. After a nice long sauna session, the last thing you want to do is have all these nasty toxins from your tissues just sitting there on your skin for a long period of time. Not good! Therefore, I recommend a nice cold shower immediately after a sauna session to wash your body and as a plus get the benefits of cold thermogenesis in the process.
One downside of a detox protocol like using the sauna is the loss of minerals when you sweat excessively. Therefore, I use specific supplements as part of my regular detox program and that brings me to my last detox tip.
Heavy metals and minerals can often bind to the same receptors in your body, so if you add more minerals, you can potentially help facilitate the movement of metals out of the body. A few of my favorite minerals are:
- Magnesium – 80% of people are magnesium deficient, and magnesium serves as a natural calcium voltage channel blocker. We will discuss more on this later, but for now, just know that magnesium and it’s ability to block calcium voltage channels help your body negate some of the negative effects of EMFs.
- Zinc – Helps push out cadmium, a heavy metal that causes more cancers than all others combined
- Selenium – Imperative for thyroid function and repairs chromosomes. It also makes glutathione, the master antioxidant in your body and very important for heavy metal detoxification.
- Iodine – This is especially important for those of you who consume fluoridated water to help thyroid function
Additional supplements you also want to add to aid in your detox protocol are:
- Niacin – This helps break down fat and aids in the release of heavy metals. Fair warning that the niacin flush can be somewhat uncomfortable, but really nothing you should worry about.
- Some type of Binder – Binders include substances like charcoal, zeolite, and chlorella. They help bind to metals in the body helping them get forced out through your stool and urine. Think of binders as substances mopping up all the toxins that got mobilized from your tissues, keeping them away from all of your vital organs.
I personally consume a solid tablespoon of chlorella in water with some Himalayan salt before my sauna session to not only hydrate with the healthy salt and trace minerals I’m about to lose during my sauna session, but also get that heavy metal binder in me to aid in the elimination of heavy metals.